When I was a teenager, my aunt placed some money in a mug and gave it to me for my birthday. I was thrilled to receive the cash – I could buy whatever I wanted! All these years later, I cannot for the life of me recall what I spent the money on, but I still have the mug and drink from it every few days, and each time I drink from it, I think about my aunt.
There are tons of things that you fill mugs with. Beverages like sachets of coffee, premium herbals teabags, or hot chocolate with marshmallows and chocolate sprinkles are always popular. You could also add things specific to the receiver’s hobbies, like seeds and gloves for the avid gardener.
Mugs continue to be the number one choice when it comes to gifting. With a bit of thought and some creativity, you can put together a gift in a mug that is thoughtful and cute!
Ideas On Things To Put In A Mug
Giving a mug as a gift may seem impersonal and a tad boring. To create a thoughtful, cute, and useful gift, think about what the person you are giving the gift to needs. Do they need to relax? Do they need to be more organized? Are they always running out of office supplies? Have they always been talking about starting a new hobby?
You could also think about their hobbies, interests, and passions and then fill the mug accordingly.
For The Foodie
You can’t go wrong with food gifts.
- Fill a mug with chocolates, candy, cookies, or cake pops.
- Fancy beverages are always appreciated. Instead of the usual coffee and tea, fill a mug with chocolate bombs, coffee pods, Mexican hot chocolate, or premium individually wrapped teabags.
- If the person you are giving the mug to has a favorite coffee shop, add a gift card from that shop to the mug.
- You could also print out a mug recipe and place it in the mug with some or all of the ingredients.
- For the baker, fill the mug with a piping bag, icing nozzles, and things to decorate cakes or cookies with, like sprinkles, edible glitter, and fondant decorations. You could also add fun baking tools like a colorful spatula and whisk.
Everyone would appreciate a mug filled with things that give them a bit of TLC. Look for lotions and potions that have a wonderful fragrance and are beautifully packaged. Look tools like brushes, tweezers, and nail files that come in a funky or glamorous finish like a makeup brush with a handle in a fun print of a rose gold nail clipper.
- If the weather is getting cold, fill a mug with a pair of warm and cozy gloves or fluffy socks.
- One or two bottles of nail polish, a nail file, and some cute nail stickers
- Things to make a soak in the tub more luxurious like bath bombs, bubble bath, and bath salts.
- Beautifully scented hand cream with a matching hand scrub.
- Shaving cream and a shaving brush
- Makeup brushes or makeup like mascara, lipgloss, lipstick, or an eyeshadow palette.
- A foot mask that comes in a sachet with a pumice stone and peppermint foot spray.
Travel mugs are great for students – they can drink their coffee on the go, especially useful for when they are running late.
- Fill the mug with other things that they can eat on the go, like energy bars.
- Sachets of instant meals will also be useful.
- Choose a keyring that compliments their style or phase in their life. Have they just moved to a new city for college? Are they studying to be a geologist? Choose a keyring that pays homage to that.
- Put together a mini stationery kit with a cute notepad, post-it notes, and some pens and pencils. This would be excellent for a teacher’s gift as well.
- Hand sanitizer and lip balm
- Stress ball, Pop It toy, and fidget spinner for those stressful exam periods.
We all look for a bit of extra comfort when the temperature starts to dip. Filling a mug with winter essentials is sure to be well received.
- With a decrease in temperature, colds and flu are common. Add a small pack of Kleenex, some lozenges, and Vitamin C supplements.
- Fill a mug with a pair of warm and cozy gloves or fluffy socks.
Whether they are getting ready to go on vacation or you want to give them something to help them beat the heat, here are some ideas.
- An itsy bitsy bikini
- Sunglasses and a lip SPF
- Sunscreen and aloe vera gel or an after-sun treatment
Special Hobbies And Interests
They may have a hobby that they love and spend lots of time doing, or maybe they have spoken about doing something but never got around to doing it. Show them how well you know them by surprising them with something special.
- Paintbrushes and a few tubes of paint
- Notepad and pens
- A golfer can never have enough golf balls. Add some golf tees as well.
- A little sewing kit. Add a few spools of cotton, some needles, hem tape, and an unpicker to the mug. A mini sewing kit is great for almost anyone, not just fashionistas or those who enjoy sewing. Students moving away from home will probably not think to have a needle and thread on hand until they need to fix a loose button.
- A pocketbook of crossword puzzles or Sudoku with a pencil
- Scrapbooking supplies like Washi tape, stickers, and dye cuts.
- Needles, yarn, and a cross stitch pattern
Mugs are nice, practical gifts. But if you want to elevate your gift, fill the mug with fun, quirky, thoughtful, and useful things. When choosing items to add to a mug, consider the time of year, what the person will be doing, their hobbies and interests, what they like and what they need.
Line the mug with some tissue paper or shredded paper if space allows as a finishing touch. Wrap the mug in cellophane to hold all the goodies together and tie with a ribbon.