With the ever-increasing risk of health issues, you have to be extra cautious to ensure that the containers you are using to drink from do not contribute to providing any toxins that can be ingested or inhaled. I must admit I have always been mindful in this area. Recently I received a stainless steel coffee mug as a gift. Which left me wondering Are Stainless Steel Coffee Mugs Safe?
According to the US Food and Drug Administration, stainless steel coffee mugs are safe as long as they have at least 16% chromium. It is also vital to ensure that the mug is made of high-quality stainless steel, which will ensure that it is completely BPA and toxin-free.
It is crucial to understand that although stainless steel has been around for many years, having undergone many stringent tests in the manufacturing process, to obtain a stamp of approval, some mugs on the market may resemble the product but differ in quality. Let’s gain more insight on identifying the real from the generic product and explore why stainless steel mugs are safe.
How To Test If The Stainless Steel Is Of Good Quality?
Unless you have personally purchased your stainless steel mug from a reputable stainless steel supplier, you might question the authenticity of your stainless steel mug. It would be advisable to eliminate all doubts and follow the below;
- Check that the mug has a stainless steel stamp of approval; if it does not, then chances are it is not genuine.
- Alternatively, you can try the home test of boiling water in the mug with a tablespoon of vinegar for a few minutes; if the boiled water has a metallic taste, it means the steel is reactive and of inferior quality.
- You can also do the magnet test; if your magnet sticks to the mug, it is stainless steel, which is highly resistant to corrosion; if it does not, it means it contains nickel, a product that can corrode very easily.
Benefits Of Drinking Out Of A Stainless Steel Mug
Stainless Steel Mugs Are BPA Free
The industrial chemical often used to manufacture resins and certain plastics is BPA. Research from the US Food and Beverage Association has shown that BPA can seep into food or beverages if the product contains BPA. Exposure to BPA is a considerable concern as it can lead to possible health effects on the brain and prostate glands.
It can also affect the behavior of children. Further studies have linked this chemical as a contributing factor to type 2 diabetes, increased blood pressure, and cardiovascular disease. The FDA will, however, continue to monitor the research. It is a relief to know that Bisphenol A has not been used in the manufacturing process of stainless steel.
Stainless Steel Mugs Are Extremely Durable
Stainless steel mugs are durable and can be used for many years. You do not have to stress mistakenly dropping them as they will not crack. It is safe to say that you can even consider using them for a lifetime without facing the hassle of replacing them.
Stainless Steel Is Timeless
Stainless steel products have stood the test of time and will continue to be around for many years. Manufacturers have created vibrant, bold stainless steel mugs to stay up to date with the ever-increasing trends.
There Is No Chemical Leaching From Stainless Steel Mugs
Although some mugs have a BPA-free stamp, other harmful chemicals are used in the manufacturing process. Chemicals tend to leach onto the beverage in plastic mugs, especially if left in the heat. Stainless steel mugs do not leach chemicals into your drinks, even if they are left in the heat.
Stainless Steel Mugs Reduces Waste And Can Be Recycled
Landfills receive billions of plastic cups a year; the more stainless steel mugs are re-used, the less wastage is produced. Stainless Steel is one of the only components that can be 100% salvaged during the recycling process; hence it has a longer lifespan.
Stainless Steel Mugs Are Leak Resistant
It is reassuring to know that you never have to deal with your stainless mug springing a leak. Unless you deliberately use a hammer to destroy it, you can rest assured that it will not puncture easily; even if the mug faces extreme temperatures, overexposure to the dishwasher, or many falls, they will still stand the test of time.
Stainless Steel Mugs Have Excellent Temperature Retention
Stainless steel mugs are ideal for hot or cold beverages. It helps retain the temperature of the liquid for longer.
Stainless Steel Mugs Are An Investment
Since stainless steel mugs last for many years, you are not wasting money on replacing the mug as often as you would with ceramic or plastic mugs, making them worth the investment.
Stainless Steel Mugs Are Easy To Clean
Unlike plastic mugs, stainless steel does not harbor much bacteria. Mild soap and water is the only requirement to clean stainless steel mugs; there is no need for extra scrubbing; you can even place them in the dishwasher periodically, without the lid, to ensure that they are extra clean.
The Disadvantages Of Stainless Steel Mugs?
- Although most stainless steel mugs are reasonably priced, high-quality mugs with advanced insulation technology can be pretty expensive.
- Some stainless steel mugs can absorb odors that affect the beverage’s taste.
- A few stainless steel mugs can have a metallic smell or taste, affecting sensitive users.
Does Stainless Steel Mugs Contain Lead?
Although there is no lead in stainless steel mugs, there is a possibility that some stainless steel mugs, especially those with decals or a logo image on the inside, can contain some lead.
The Best Stainless Steel Coffee Mug
The thermos stainless king vacuum insulated travel mug is a prevalent choice as it has maximum temperature retention, which keeps liquids hot for up to 5 hours or cold for 9 hours. It is sweat proof and retails at $24,99 on Amazon.
How To Chose The Right Stainless Steel Mug?
When choosing the right stainless steel mug, you need to look out for the following features;
The Lid Of The Stainless Steel Mug
- Select a stainless steel travel mug with a secure lid that won’t come off.
- Ensure that you choose a cover that screws on tightly and has a rubber or silicone seal to prevent leaks.
- A flat lid is also ideal, as it does not impair your vision, especially if you are sipping your coffee while you are driving.
- Opt for a cover that has a button instead of one with a turning mechanism.
The Grip Of The Stainless Steel Mug
- Opt for a stainless steel mug with a rubberized exterior, which offers a convenient and comfortable grip, especially in inclement weather.
The Aesthetics Of The Stainless Steel Mug
- With the variety of finishes, colors, and designs available on the market, why not opt for one that suits your style preference.
With the fast-paced world that we live in and the ever-increasing health issues, it is no wonder that many people are switching to stainless steel mugs. It not only allows you to have your coffee on the go but is also one of the safest choices. No other coffee mug can last for a lifetime. The only way to have my coffee is in a stainless mug.